Touring a country or simply heading off the beaten track for a day, four wheel driving can be an exhilarating experience; heading into rugged territory knowing that only those with a powerful 4WD vehicle have been able to explore such parts. As with any trip though, it is important to do your research and ensure you have the right equipment.
The most prominant 4WD makes are:
Buying a 4WD
Whether hiring a 4WD or looking to buy, consider the following:
- What will be the vehicle's primary usage - on road or off road driving.
- Diesel or petrol? - the right choice can save money and wear-and-tear. Generally diesel is best for off-road driving and petrol is best for on-road usage.
- If hiring or buying a used vehicle, does the vehicle have sand or water damage.
- Costs involved in running and maintaining the vehicle.
Popular 4WD vehicles include:
- Jeep Grand Cherokee
- Nissan's X-Trail
- Toyota Land Cruiser
- Hummer H3
A well planned 4WD holiday can be a rewarding experience, from fishing holidays to exploring expeditions. Before heading off on such a trip, it's important to consider the following:
- Are permits required to enter particular areas.
- What are the driving conditions - how harsh and diverse are they.
- The benefits in joining a 4WD club or organized 4WD tour.
- Am I prepared? Always consider safety and ensure the vehicle is packed with such items as water, maps, recovery equipment and spare parts.
Hiring 4 Wheel drives
Mt Buller is a great 4WD destination in the summertime. Also try 4 wheel drive tours of Kakadu National park.